Wednesday, August 10, 2011

School Shootings, Supreme Court...Family Values

I was reading through some of Genna's new American History Textbook...it is written with a rather conservative view.  In the last chapter they discuss more recent history and they actually touch on the topic of prayer in public schools.  Obviously, this is an issue that I have a generally conservative view about.

They approached the topic by explaining that in some schools kids don't even say the Pledge of Allegiance anymore because of the words "Under God," which, by the way were added in 1954.  Well, they go on to explain how important Supreme Court Justices are to our great country's moral well-being.  And that much of the decline of family values relates back to the Supreme Court decision of the 1960's that ended Bible reading and prayer in public schools.  Since then more decisions have contributed to the moral decline.

I'll admit that I'm not a history lover but I am much more interested now that I'm 35 reading a 4th grade textbook.  LOL  No, seriously, my newly found interest has come as a parent who is concerned with the moral state of our society.

Locally, last week, teenagers were arrested for plotting a shooting/suicide on the first day of school.  It has really rocked our community to experience something like this so close to home, at a school where friends of nieces and nephews attend.  It is all so scary.  Why were things so bad for these kids?  And why did they have so little value for life?  This is happening quite frequently in recent years.  Why?  Is it the parents, the educators, or the counselors??  Or some combination?  Personally, as sad as I am for these parents, I also can't help but question whether they have parented with good moral values.  Thankfully, there was at least one other teenager who learned of the plot and notified police.

I'm thankful that I'm not currently sending my kids to school where they could end up in a situation like this without me there to at least attempt to protect them.  But I'm also scared.  No one should have to fear going to the place where they spend 36 weeks per year as a student or an employee.  And no parents should have to fear sending their child someplace that is supposed to be a "safe place."

Often you hear that these kids have been victimized (haven't heard anything about this local case).  And that is sad, too.  Why are kids lashing out at other kids?  Oh, let's see...I think we are back to parenting.  And, well, you know where I stand on that one.

This evening at the health club we were in a water aerobics class while Genna and Thomas were swimming.  They were swimming near us and in full view without getting in the way.  At one point Genna and another little girl were going to jump in the deeper end.  One of the ladies didn't want them to.  Therefore, she made up a rule that they were not allowed to because the life guards were not there.  LOL  Anyway, Genna had a less than sweet and respectful response.  She wasn't very ugly, but kinda huffed and rolled her eyes (she is good at this) after telling the lady that she promised it was okay.  I witnessed only her response.  I had no idea of what the rest of the conversation was until I talked with Genna later.  I made Genna march herself back over to the lady and apologize for being disrespectful in her response.  Then I discussed it at length when things were calmed down.  While I know that the lady was wrong, I also know that Genna's response was improper and explained some proper ways she could have responded.  That is called parenting.

I'm not praising myself.  I'd be praising myself if her response had been respectful!  :P  I'm just making the point that the little things matter.  I actually was given a few compliments on how I handled the situation and on how my kids behaved otherwise.  Helping with a younger child, equipment, etc.

Is that what is missing in society?  And does responsible parenting automatically instill strong moral values?  Almost seems like you can't have one without the other.  And, how much does our Supreme Court contribute?  Can they really make such a drastic impact?  

1 comment:

  1. Good parenting is key to a child's behavior. Unfortunately, today good parenting also involves monitoring what video games kids have access to or are addicted to.

    Not long ago I was participating in a video game with grandkids. The game was a "car driving" game. The scary thing is that if I lost control of my car I killed innocent pedestrians! This freaked me out. I immediately put the control down and told the kids that what just happened is not "exciting" nor is it "funny." Remember, this was just a "car driving" game. What about the higher level of shooting, killing, crashing etc. games.

    In the recent weeks we've had killing threats in schools, a "Bonnie and Clyde" family of teens shooting at police and robbing banks, and other news worthy stories involving kids committing similar crimes. I can't help but compare their actions to some of these violent video games.

    Recently, I heard a kid discussing how cool his phone is not because of the phone's clarity, but, because of the games he had access to. I'm telling you that shooting and killing has become the fun way of life. Oh, and the phone subject is a another story. It's sad to think that safe parenting has to depend on kids carrying phones for security purposes. I guess this is a case of what came first..."the chicken or the egg?"

    I would like to see parents come together and stop purchasing video games that display violence and lack of value for life(human or not). It is my belief that the more often a child experiences no value in his or herself or a video game figure, the more likely it is for them to act out in real life and think nothing of their actions. Please...control what your kids play with, entertain themselves with, and carry in their hands 24 hours a day!

    ReplyDelete