Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Interesting Observation...What People Think

So, as you can imagine, homeschooling comes up on a regular basis.  With people I know and in public with strangers, too.  I've been entertained by the responses I get from people, or the perception I have of their thoughts based on their facial expressions.  LOL  I've categorized them into 3 groups.  


The first group is called "The Wishers."  Because, I fairly often hear, "Oh, you are so lucky, I wish I could home school!"  And that is usually followed by "I have to work," "My husband would never go for it" or "I just couldn't handle it."  All are very honest and I appreciate that!  :)  Although, I'd beg to differ with those who don't think they could do it themselves.  If I can do it, then most anyone can!  


The second group is the "Better You Than Me" group.  This group cracks me up!  They often even say "I'll pray for you!"  Actually, I appreciate the prayers, but I have a feeling they are praying for my survival (or my kids' survival).  But, hey...I need prayers, we all do, so I'll take them.  But really, the kids and I have fun!  I swear it.  We work hard, and there are certainly times when we all need patience.  But we find it and move on.  I LOVE being with my children.  And, yes, there are moments when I need a moment for myself.  But since I'm homeschooling I have not once thought "Wow, I miss my days without them!"  I'm with them nearly 24/7 and I honestly and truly enjoy that!  I'm not going to lie.  There are certainly times when I have to tell them that they must entertain themselves because I need a break!  


And the third group...sigh...this group is my favorite.  LOL  This is the "She's Certifiably NUTS" group.  For example, I encountered a lady at the deli counter a few weeks ago.  My kids were being silly and entertaining everyone while we waited.  I'd imagine some people may have thought they were not behaving, but they were giggling with each other and staying near my basket (and not asking to buy anything!)  In my book, that is grocery store success!  I'd rather they be silly and having fun, than be miserable and driving me crazy.  Anyway...Genna ordered my deli items for me.  This is something she loves to do and I think it is great for her!  :)  A lady commented that she was impressed.  She then started talking to Genna and I.  Then she asked where Genna goes to school.  When she heard "We home school" I could practically see the words "I've met my nut for the day" run through her mind.  Her face was a complete give-away.  I've seen this reaction before, so it didn't phase me.  Then I asked her daughter (same age as Genna) where she goes to school.  HAHAHA  When I heard the answer I was NOT surprised.  I will not mention the school, but I will tell you that it is my least favorite school in our area for many reasons.  The biggest reason being that they tend to strip kids of self esteem on a daily basis!  They actually don't even make it a secret that you are placed into a certain class each year based on your performance the previous year.  Must feel awesome knowing that you were placed in the "C" class and not the "A" class, right?  I'm not trying to be nasty.  I'm just telling the truth.  And, while I don't personally  like that school, I don't think it is a bad choice for every child...if you are in the "A" class it is probably great.  


I don't mind hearing what other people think and wonder.  I love to answer questions.  I do, however, wish that everyone could "think outside the box" and realize that homeschooling is not something that is strange or weird.  It is AWESOME.  There are well over 2 million students being home schooled in the USA.  And that is more than doubled from 10 years ago.  For it to be the fastest growing trend in education, there must be something good about it, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment