Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Science! Flowers and Pollination


We reviewed our Flowers and Pollination lesson yesterday...getting ready for our test.  I thought it would be interesting to show how I've adapted the lesson to incorporate Thomas, too.  Obviously, I don't expect him to remember some of the more scientific names.  But, he does really understand the material.  With him I've focused on pollen, stem, roots, petals, leaf, seed, male parts, female parts, and pollination.  I expect Genna to know the rest!  Having said that...I review this material with both of them and Thomas is learning even more than I expect!  :)

Through this science lesson we've labeled diagrams, observed pollination in progress in our own garden,  watched educational videos about pollination and plant reproduction.  It is all very interesting!  The kids are loving it.  :)

If you'd like to do this with your kids over the summer it is really easy to find great material online.  I just googled "parts of the flower" and found lots of free lessons and videos.  From that I created a study guide and a diagram for Genna.  She used the printed information (2 pages) to find answers to the study guide questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment