Friday, September 17, 2010

The Bittersweet and the Frustrations

Well, from finding the perfect desks at Goodwill to the support I've gotten and finding books I need at a significant savings....everything has been going so well and I've felt God leading the way!  But that doesn't mean that I won't have some emotions and challenges.

I'm a little sad about leaving the elementary school that I've been associated with as a mom for over 4 years.  I have friends who are moms there and I hope we'll remain friends!  And we've loved every teacher.  Our feelings about homework and school really have nothing to do with them.  The school is an excellent school!!!  The principal is the best!  So, yes...that part of our decision to home school is bittersweet.

And here is the frustration...I was just there talking to Thomas' speech therapist.  Evidently they have JUST passed a law that eliminates home schooled children from qualifying for their services.  WTH??  I pay taxes!  Within the last year they passed a law that high school kids can go try out for sports with schools, but they turned around and decided that something that is needed won't be available.  Typical Louisiana!

Why is this frustrating?  Because...I'm doing what I feel is best for my kids and our family.  And I feel like I'm being punished for it.  There is my whine for the day!  LOL

His speech therapist is going to evaluate him today (his last evaluation was two years ago).  She may feel that any pronunciation errors are age appropriate and say that he can be done.  But if she doesn't...well, I don't know!  I'm stuck in a sticky situation.  I feel I NEED to remove Genna from the constant stress and do this for her.  But, I feel that if I do it for her I have to do it for him.

So, what's the plan.  First...try everything to see if I can keep him in therapy with the school since he is already established there.  Second, I will attempt to have therapy covered by our health insurance.  I think that is a long shot, but I will try!

And Third, I have a cousin who is a speech therapist!  Katie, you'll be getting an e-mail from me with the report.  His therapist mentioned that it is very possible that what is left for Thomas to work on I can work on with him.  We can make that part of his school day.  He can excersize daily instead of twice a week.  So, I may need some help...maybe suggestions for a book or two and maybe have you Skype with Thomas so you can give your professional opinion.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Haha...just saw this post...I'm a little behind. :) I'll be looking for it! And Thomas' SLP is right, you can most likely do a lot of the therapy drills yourself. All it will take is getting comfortable with judging his accuracy and then giving the right prompts to correct errors. You can do it and I am very happy to help in any way I can! I'm not sure if you've sat in on any of Thomas' speech sessions but articulation therapy can actually be really fun by using games, fun books, etc. Plus, you may be very happily surprised when you see how much progress can be made when you work with him everday (as opposed to just once or twice a week like we have to do in schools usually). Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We'll be going to therapy at school afterall! :) They called and said that since he is still a preschooler they can't kick him to the curb! LOL So, twice a week. And then I'll work with him on the other days! When I have a chance I'll still e-mail you with the actual errors he is still making. Mostly, they are blends. Maybe you can give me some good game ideas...he is a game kid! I have to give him "points" during most of our classwork to motivate him. LOL

    ReplyDelete