Wednesday, September 22, 2010

First Day....A++

Our day was really great even though it wasn't as relaxed as I had hoped.  When I decided to start today I failed to realize that I had already made plans to take my grandma to a doctor's appointment.  And since no one else was willing and able to help me with that problem, I decided to make the best of it and use it as a lesson in flexibility while homeschooling! 

We brought workbooks with us and did those.  Genna has an Introduction to Multiplication workbook that I picked up because she hadn't been officially introduced to multiplication last year and A Beka starts in 2nd grade.  She totally gets it and I was actually amazed!  I planned for her to do 4 pages of the workbook and she did 16 pages!  LOL  She also is working on cursive and her handwriting, so far, is BEAUTIFUL! 

For Thomas, I wanted to spend the day examining what he does and doesn't know.  We went over the alphabet and there were only 3 letters he didn't recognize!  For the doctor's office I brought a Preschool Basics workbook and he completed the entire thing!  It covered concepts such as:  same, different, one more, one less, patterns, bigger, smaller, opposites, beginning sounds, etc.  Again, just so I could see where he stood and what, if anything, he wasn't aware of.  He is cool in the preschool department!  :)

The day started with the kids both waking up, on their own, with no alarm clock, at 8am.  We turned on Animal Planet and watched as Victoria Stillwell helped two families with their dog training while they had breakfast.  Then I brought them upstairs to see the classroom.  They were so excited to see all of the work I had done last night!  :)  (Pics to come soon!)  Then I set them off to complete their list of chores because we want to start our days with a neat house!  The quote of the day belongs to Genna... "Mom, I just don't think I'll ever get tired of this!"  She said this while she was emptying the dishwasher.  I struggled to hold back my laughter! 

By the time we were done with all of that and dressed it was 10am and time to head out.  We did doctor duty and had a nice lunch with Mam Maw.  Then we came home and within a few minutes we were in the classroom.  We stayed up there for 2 hours and they didn't want to stop!  LOL  I hope that attitude continues!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first day! The best lesson was probably the love showed Grandma by bringing her to the doctor! Many fruitful days to follow, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Char, thanks so much for pointing that out to me. Because, I have to admit, that I was a tiny bit frustrated and annoyed that another family member didn't jump at the chance to help me out on our first day. Now, with that perspective, I feel much better! So true! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for a great first day! Keep it up! Can't wait to see your schoolroom pics! :-)

    ReplyDelete